Graduate Student Groups and Departmental Graduate Student Organizations greatly enhance the graduate student experience by providing opportunities to connect with a community of students who share common interests and goals. Whether those interests are related to culture, sports, or advocacy, these groups enable students to engage in activities that promote personal growth, develop leadership skills, and build community.
Registrations / Contact Update
To become an official UD Graduate Student Organization (GSO) you must register your organization with the Graduate College. All GSOs must register every year to stay in good standing.
In order to receive a base budget for the academic year every GSO must be in good standing with the University and must submit their registration by the end of September to be considered for the full base budget. Any request submitted after the September 30th deadline will receive funding at a prorated level. A GSO may also request supplementary funding for an event that was not incorporated into the initial base budget for the academic year.
Supplemental event funding requests must be completed at least two weeks prior to the proposed event and before the Monthly Funding Committee Meeting held at the end of each month. For both base budget and supplemental event requests, the GSO advisor must approve the request before the budget is reviewed for approval by the Graduate College. After review, the GSO point of contact and advisor will be notified of acceptance of approved budget amounts.
The Graduate College will follow all University of Delaware masking and distancing guidelines to ensure the health and safety of our students. COVID-19 Guidelines can be found here: https://www.udel.edu/home/coronavirus/guidelines/
Please use no-cost social media options such as Twitter, Facebook pages, or Instagram to broadcast information about your Graduate Student Organization (GSO). When you submit your form to update your leadership roster, be sure to include a link to your Facebook page or website. Students reviewing the list of GSOs can click on your group’s name and will be directed to your Facebook page, website, or Instagram site. Zoom webinars can be held at no cost to your group for virtual meetings.
If you have specific questions regarding your GSO budget or allowable expenses or activities please reach out to Cindy Rechsteiner (firstname.lastname@example.org), the Business Officer for the Graduate College.
CRITERIA FOR FUNDING
Criteria for Funding
- Graduate Student Organizations may not use any organizational funds for items or events that conflict with policies of the University and/or the Code of Conduct, nor can the Funding Committee provide supplemental funding for such items or events. Items (or events with below items) covered by this policy include, but are not limited to:
- Candles, lighters, or other open flame devices
- Drugs or drug paraphernalia
- Listening devices or any type of “spyware” that would invade the privacy of others
- Tobacco products or devices for smoking tobacco or other herbal products
- Weapons such as rifles, guns, crossbows, swords (even for display purposes), martial arts items that may inflict harm, etc. as well as ammunition for weapons such as bullets, arrows, pellets, etc.
- Prizes, trophies, awards
- GSOs may submit a budget request for funds; however, no funds may be issued to student organizations that conduct any activities prohibited by the Charter of the University of Delaware or the Internal Revenue Code. Delaware Code Title 12, Section 5013 states, “The University shall never be managed or conducted in the interest of any party, sect, or denomination.” In describing the activities of organizations eligible for tax-exempt status, the Internal Revenue Code, Section 501 (c)(3) states “…no substantial part of the activities of which is carrying on propaganda, or otherwise attempting to influence legislation, and which does not attempt to participate or intervene in (including the publishing and distribution of statements) any political campaign.”
- The viewpoint of the GSO will not be considered when making funding decisions, and each organization must make it known that its views and positions are its own and shall not be ascribed to the University.
- Organizations that receive Event Supplemental Funding agree to allow FREE attendance to the supported event by a Funding Committee member and his/her guest. One Funding Committee member may be required to attend any event that the Funding Committee supports. This is to ensure that the event takes place, and that requested expenses are indeed incurred.
- The Funding Committee reserves the right to amend these policies with the approval of the Graduate College at any time.
- Graduate Student Organizations may not use organizational funds without collecting names of attendees through a sign-in sheet or some other mechanism.
Following an event that utilized supplemental funding, an event summary must be completed using the form above. Information regarding the counts and names of all attendees, a brief synopsis of the event, as well as pictures and a record of any additional funds raised will be needed to complete the summary.