Select Page

Arriving on Campus


1. When should I connect with the Graduate College?
  • Clarification on University or departmental
    policies and procedures
  • Changes in Academic Status
  • Confidential guidance on personal or academic issues
  • Academic expectations of graduate programs other than course work?
  • Graduate student life: tours, events
  • Graduate student organizations
  • Funding and professional development
2. When should I connect with my program?
  • Academic advising — identify courses needed for the degree and registration information
  • Find out how to select or be given an academic advisor
  • Request the program policy document
  • Find opportunities for financial awards in the program, i.e, teaching assistantships, research assistantships or fellowships
3. What can I do in the Student Record System (UDSIS)?
  • Register for courses
  • Make changes in registered courses either to add or drop or change status
  • Note: Free drop/add ends on Friday, February 21st
  • Last day to withdraw from a spring course with a grade of “W,” Monday, April 11th
  • View transcript and grades
4. What services are provided by the Registrar’s Office?
  • All services are on the web—not in person
  • View the academic calendar for deadlines
  • Order official transcript and grades
  • View course information and course listings
5. What are the academic standards for graduate degrees?
  • To be awarded the degree must have a cumulative GPA of 3.00
  • All courses to be applied to the degree must be graduate courses numbered 600 and above
  • Grades below C- do not apply to the degree
  • Some programs have grade requirements of B in courses to be eligible to remain in the program
  • Audited courses do not count toward degree requirements
6. How are students classified for enrollment status?
  • Full time—9 graduate credit hours in grading status
  • Part time—Less than 9 graduate credit hours
  • Students holding assistantships or fellowships must have full-time status
  • Must be registered in fall and spring semester either in courses or approved leave to maintain status as a student in the program
7. What needs to be done if I need to take a leave of absence?
  • Must make the request in writing
  • Types of leaves are medical, personal, and professional
  • Parental leave policy
8. How long do I have to complete the degree?
  • Maximum time limit for master’s degrees is 5 years
  • Maximum time limit for doctoral degrees is 7 years
  • Time extensions can be requested but require approval of the program and the Graduate College
9. How do I pay for tuition and fees?
  • Graduate students must pay for charges by February 10, 2020 for Spring semester
  • Can pay by credit card or online check
  • UD offers installment plan
  • Electronic bill sent by email upon registration
  • Payroll Deduction possible if on contract
10. What services are provided by the University Health Center for Students?
  • Immunization and Medical History Requirement
  • Open 24-7 daily
  • Doctor and nurses present at all times
  • Same doctor assigned to student for all visits
  • Dispensary Services
11. What is the mandatory Student Health Insurance Plan?
  • Mandatory for full-time students
  • Mandatory for part-time students
  • Mandatory for students holding F-1, J-1 or J-2 Visas
  • Waiver option if enrolled in other plan of same coverage
  • Benefit information
  • Prescription coverage card
  • Dental and Vision Insurance Option

Who to contact if there is a problem with your student health insurance enrollment or claim: Mary Martin at:

12. What are the services of the Center for Student Counseling & Development?
  • Confidential conversations
  • Mental Health Information
  • Managing Stress and Anxiety
  • Offer variety of group sessions
13. What is the Student Code of Conduct Policy?
  • Graduate Judicial Conduct System for consequences of violations to the Student Code of Conduct
  • Academic dishonesty–falsify the results of one’s research, to steal the words or ideas of another, to cheat on an assignment, or to allow or assist another to commit these acts corrupts the educational process. Students are expected to do their own work and neither give nor receive unauthorized assistance.
14. What are the services of Public Safety in keeping the campus safe?
  • Blue-light phones
  • Escort Service
  • Use the LIVESAFE app on your mobile device.
  • The UD Alert System work
  • Call 911 if crime is in process or in the event of an emergency
  • Call (302) 831-2222
15. What support is available in creating an equitable, diverse and inclusive working / learning environments?
  • UD kNOw MORE CAMPAIGN and pledge
  • Resources for victims of abusive behavior or sexual misconduct
  • Office of Equity and Inclusion
16. Where can you find assistance with computer connection set up?
  • Computing Sites
  • Network connectivity for Students
  • Printing Services
  • Purchasing options
  • IT Support Center—lower level of Smith Hall
17. What does my Recreation Fee permit me to do?
  • Use of Fitness Equipment at the Little ‘Bob
  • Personal training and fitness (Fee Based)
  • Team sports (Fee Based)
  • Ice Skating (Fee Based)
  • Intramurals (Fee Based)
  • Club Sports (Fee Based)
18. What services does the Library provide?
  • Reserve a Graduate Student Carrel in the Library
  • Student Multi-Media Design Center
  • Graduate Student Research Room
  • Workshops
  • Reference Assistance
  • Borrowing options
  • COS Pivot database for external funding
  • Reflection Room (Morris Library / Room 233)
19. Where should I seek assistance if I have a disability?
  • Registration Required
  • Student Academic Accommodations
  • Academic Aids
  • Assistive Technology
  • Transportation Services
20. What are UD’s responsible computing requirements?
  • Anti-virus Software
  • 2Factor access
  • Code of the Web
  • Legal implications of downloading and sharing materials that hold copyright protection

Student Resource Guide

The University of Delaware has compiled hundreds of resources into the MY UD system. We have sifted through and found the ones more commonly used by our new graduate students and created a resource guide for your convenience.

Over 200 Programs and Counting

We invite you to explore the Graduate programs at the University of Delaware. Our program choices top over 200 different options.


What is my UD ID and why do I need one?
Your UD ID is your identification number here at the University of Delaware. Every applicant has a UD ID, but the place it can clearly be seen is at the top of the acceptance letter (both online via the application status page and the hard copy).


UD Cards

Students are required to carry the UD#1 Card at all times. It is the official identification card of the University of Delaware. The ID CARD office is located at Student Services Building, 30 Lovett Avenue. Regular office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm.

Contact the ID Office at (302) 831-2273 or if you have questions.

Some of the privileges that are provided with the UD#1 Card are:

  • UD1 FLEX account – A declining balance account that can be used in place of cash all around campus. Services such as dining meals and points, vending, laundry, and copiers can be accessed with UD1 FLEX.
  • UD#1 PNC bank account with ATM services
  • Library
  • Dining services
  • Athletic facilities
  • Sporting events
  • Fitness centers
  • Student activities and voting
  • Dispensary and student health services



Some departments allow students to register for courses before arriving on campus. You may contact your department for additional information including class schedule.

Online Registration is available through the Office of the Registrar. Find out more about available courses here.


Tuition & Fees

Standard tuition and fees, established by the Board of Trustees, apply equally to all students. Each student is responsible for understanding and complying with University policies and for paying established fees that are updated regularly in catalogs, fee payment materials, and on the Student Financial Services Web Site.

Tuition and fees can be paid online, by mail to the cashier’s office or in person at the Student Services Building at Lovett Avenue, Newark, DE 19716.

How to Be a Successful Teaching Assistant-Online!

On Thursday, August 27 from 1:00-2:30 p.m., the Center for Teaching, Assessment, and Learning (CTAL) and the Graduate College hosted an informative session to help graduate student teaching assistants transition their responsibilities to virtual spaces. The event was optional and open to all TAs, regardless of experience—from first-time TAs to seasoned veterans of in-class instruction. Experts from CTAL and former teaching assistants gave advice and answered questions on such topics as: Establishing an Online Presence, Synchronous vs Asynchronous Classes, Managing Your Time, Setting Boundaries, and Where to Find Help and Resources. The format of this event included a formal presentation, interactive polling, and a Town Hall style Q&A opportunity.

Watch the Recording

Download the slides


Important COVID-19 Updates: Updated guidance for graduate students and postdocs | More Information

Share This