Literacy Online MEd
The University of Delaware’s fully online and flexible M.Ed. in Literacy will prepare current teachers and educators for certification as a Reading/Literacy specialist.
Taught by a team of distinguished faculty, you will develop knowledge of the theoretical and evidenced foundations of reading and writing development, plan culturally and linguistically relevant literacy instruction for all students, and support students and teachers in the use of digital literacy tools.
You will also engage with colleagues and school leaders to design and participate in relevant professional development opportunities.
This degree program is designed for practicing teachers and educators.
- Fully online
- 30 credits (10 classes) completed over 2 years
- 7-week courses
- Program experiences
Learn within a fully-online and flexible environment
- Develop knowledge of the theoretical and evidenced foundations of reading and writing development
- Plan culturally and linguistically relevant literacy instruction for all students
- Plan and deliver targeted literacy instruction to both English learners and native English speakers in responsive ways
- Support students and teachers in the use of digital literacy tools
- Engage with colleagues and school leaders to design and participate in relevant professional development
- Prepare for certification as a Reading/Literacy Specialist
This online program is designed to allow students to learn through application.
Therefore, you will be asked to apply your classroom content in an educational setting, assessing and instructing K-12 students using a variety of methods and strategies. You will also be asked to engage in coaching and mentoring opportunities.
Your work must be documented with video and submitted to course instructors for their review.
It is the student’s responsibility to obtain required technology, identify appropriate educational settings, obtain appropriate consent, and record and upload videos. Students will receive a consent form template which must be submitted to their instructor at the time of assignment submission.
Preference given to applicants with initial teaching certification and classroom teaching experience. Students must have 3 years of teaching experience by the time they seek certification as a Reading/Literacy Specialist.
Prior to enrolling, students who teach outside of the state of Delaware are responsible for verifying their state licensing board’s requirements to determine if the UD M.Ed. in Literacy program meets their state’s requirements for reading/literacy specialist certification.
The 2020-2021 UD published graduate student tuition rate per credit hour:
Literacy–MED (Online): $697.00
All Programs >
- Program Web Site
- Graduate Catalog
- Program Admission Requirements
- Program Degree Requirements
- Success after UD
- Graduate Fellowships and Assistantships
- Tuition Rate
- Graduate Fees
- Mandatory Fees
- Miscellaneous Fees
- Matriculation Information