2020-2021 NOMINATION FORM
Unidel Distinguished Graduate Scholars Award
The Graduate College invites nominations for the Unidel Distinguished Graduate Scholars award, designated for students newly admitted to doctoral programs (Fall 2020). Funded by the Unidel Foundation, Inc., the Unidel Distinguished Graduate Scholar awards are the premier awards offered by the University of Delaware to exceptional doctoral student prospects. These awards are highly competitive and are selected by a faculty review committee.
Awardees will be asked to participate in community building, scholarship, and professional development activities sponsored by the Graduate College, and must submit annual planning, progress and expense reports. Awardees will be expected to submit at least one fellowship or grant proposal during their matriculation through the program.
Based on funding availability and historical experience, 12 awards are granted annually. Graduate programs may initially nominate up to two students and must rank their nominations. The Graduate College will accept an additional nomination if the initial request is not funded or the original nominee declines UD’s offer of admission.
These awards are a commitment of up to five academic years of funding for the student with stipends at a rate of $34,000 for 12 months ($2833 per month).
- The Unidel award provides full funding for three years. During these years, the awards must be administered as graduate fellowships.
- Doctoral programs are asked to provide a 9-month minimum stipend for two years (or less, if the awardee graduates in less than five years). Support in these periods may follow a TA, GA, or RA model.
- During the 2 years when the student receives departmental support, the Graduate College will provide a supplement to the 9-month stipend and a 3-month summer award to bring total funding to the $34,000 rate for 12 months
- In addition to the stipend, the award provides $3,000 every year for expenses related to research, education, or professional development.
- The college or department is responsible for tuition.
First-year fellowships begin on August 15, 2020, and end June 30, 2021. Note that this period is only 10.5 months, so that the total stipend awarded will be $29,750. Later-year fellowships begin on July 1 and end June 30.
NOMINATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED FROM DECEMBER 15, 2019 TO FEBRUARY 14, 2020 FOR EARLY ACTION
*After Feb. 14, nominations will be considered on a rolling basis, pending funding availability.
Complete the form below and upload the following documents, in the order listed below, as a single PDF:
- Completed nomination form for each nominee
- A letter of nomination for each nominee, from either the director of the graduate program or department chair, that describes
- The nominees’s academic preparation and training, accomplishments and suitability for this award, and potential professional contribution to the program and field of study.
- The department’s/program’s mentoring plan for the nominee.
- The department’s/program’s plan for providing a 9-month minimum stipend for two years. It is understood that research support for graduate students can be uncertain, therefore a bridge funding program is under development by the Graduate College to provide support in extenuating circumstances.
- A copy of the student’s graduate application
Submit all supporting documentation as a single PDF.
Your application may not be considered if supporting documentation is not submitted as one continuous document.