TOEFL and IELTS Requirements
All foreign national applicants for graduate study at the University of Delaware are expected to have or gain English proficiency prior to enrolling in graduate coursework. Here are the ways to demonstrate English proficiency via your application:
- The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is the standard University requirement to show proof of English language proficiency. The University of Delaware sets the following minimum scores:
|TOEFL IBT:||Minimum score 79 (100 for some programs)
– Minimum Speaking score of 18
|TOEFL paper-based:||Minimum score of 550 (600 for some programs) PBT
Minimum score of 61 (82 for some programs) PDT [after June 2017]
– Separate evaluation for Speaking Proficiency required
- Applicants must score 100 or higher on the TOEFL or the equivalent on the IELTS to be considered as a Teaching Assistant.
- Many programs require a TOEFL ibt score of 100. To find out if your graduate program of interest has this as it’s TOEFL minimum please check the department’s webpage.
- To find out if your graduate program of interest has a higher minimum score, please contact that department directly.
A waiver of the TOEFL exam is only allowed when:
- A bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree has been or will be earned from a college or university accredited by a regional accrediting association in the United States.
- A bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree has been or will be earned from a university recognized by the ministry of education in a country where English is the primary language.
- Some graduate programs will accept IELTS (Academic version) in place of the TOEFL. Please check with your department of interest.
- The minimum TOEFL ibt is 79 and this is equal to an IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score of 6.5 overall with no individual Speaking sub-score below 6.0.
- If your graduate department of interest requires a TOEFL ibt of 100, then this is equal to an IELTS score of 7.0 overall.
- Other questions about TOEFL / IELTS equivalencies can be answered here (http://www.ets.org/toefl/institutions/scores/compare/)
- The same policies for the TOEFL above are relevant for IELTS.
- IELTS scores can be sent electronically or by hard copy to the University of Delaware Office of Graduate Admissions (please do not mail to the department):
Electronic Address: 108 Computing Center, S Chapel Street, 19716
Hard Copy Address: 234 Hullihen Hall, Newark DE, 19716
Conditional Admission based on achieving English Proficiency (ELI-CAP)
- Some graduate programs will consider an applicant who is otherwise admissible except for English Proficiency. Please click here to see if your program of interest will consider you. (Please note: Some programs expect to see required GRE or GMAT scores prior to consideration, while others will wait to see if you achieve acceptable scores).