Physics and Astronomy Graduate Student Society
To promote a unified, supportive community of graduate students within the University of Delaware Department of Physics and Astronomy (UD DPA) graduate student body.
To address and resolve the needs and issues of the UD DPA graduate students by consulting with department representatives (ex. the Department Chair, Graduate Program Director, Graduate Student Coordinator, etc.).
To organize events that promote academic excellence, professional development, and social activity, primarily within the UD DPA graduate student community, and secondarily within the wider UD DPA community.
GOALS & OBJECTIVES:
1) Effectively communicate with the UD DPA Chair, Graduate Program Director, and Graduate Student Coordinator in order to
advocate for a better graduate student work-life balance; mediate discussions and concerns regarding graduate student teaching responsibilities, pay, and course selection; participate in discussions and planning sessions regarding facilities and policies use by and affecting graduate students.
2) Ensure incoming graduate students have adequate information to smoothly transition into graduate student life in the UD DPA.
3) Organize regular social events, including holiday parties, off-campus trips, social hours, off-campus activities, and sports matches within and among the UD DPA (and wider UD) graduate student body.
4) Hold monthly graduate student talks relating to current graduate student research within the UD DPA.
5) Connect with UD alumni and other professionals in the field of Physics and Astronomy (and related areas) with the aim of promoting professional development opportunities for the graduate students of the UD DPA.
6) Collaborate with other UD Graduate Student Organizations to form connections within the wider UD Graduate Student community
7) Participate in local volunteer activities and outreach programs.
Increase the number of participants in UD DPA activities.
HELPING THE UD COMMUNITY:
PAGSS membership is open to all University of Delaware students. In particular, students within the UD DPA, or with connection to the UD DPA are encouraged to participate. PAGSS strives to provide an ideal environment to foster professional networks and relationships both within and without the UD DPA.
PAGSS is an organization committed to developing a more diverse, supportive, and tolerant community. We welcome students of all backgrounds, races, religions, genders, socio-economic classes, abilities, etc. We actively support the mission and goals of UD’s Diversity Statements, eg. https://grad.udel.edu/students/diversity-inclusion/
PAGSS encourages interdepartmental collaboration through open inclusion in its activities. PAGSS endeavors to participate in the wider community through its activities, volunteer, and outreach efforts.
By participating within PAGSS, you will gain
1) A more fully developed personal professional network within the UD DPA (and wider community), as well as a community of like-minded individuals with which to socialize and build connections outside of the classroom/research group;
2) A deeper perspective on current events and research affecting the UD DPA, UD community, and the community of Physics and Astronomy as a whole;
3) A network within which to develop, grow, and promote yourself as a young member of the growing scientific community;
4) Opportunities to practice and develop professional skills, such as grant writing, public speaking, networking, etc;
5) A chance to give back to your UD DPA (and wider UD) community.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR MEMBERSHIP:
All of the graduate students in the UD DPA are automatically members of PAGSS. Graduate students from other departments and colleges at UD can request membership by emailing or contacting the current PAGSS president. Membership of individuals outside UD DPA will be finalized after being accepted (by majority vote) by the current PAGSS board. Non-graduate student members will also be considered and voted upon by the current PAGSS board.
All PAGSS members will be included in the PAGSS email list.
There are no fees associated with PAGSS membership. Occasionally, off-campus PAGSS activities will have a fee associated with them, in order to finance the trip. This fee is NOT mandatory for all members, and is not associated with membership in PAGSS.
PAGSS officers will be elected from within the active membership by public democratic process. The core board (President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer) will be elected every year between May & September. All other positions will be elected after the start of the school year in September (in order to incorporate incoming graduate students). PAGSS elections must be announced to the entire active membership list (at least a week before the event), and anyone is allowed to run for the PAGSS board positions (with exceptions listed below). Voting rights are extended to all PAGSS active members.
PAGSS active members are defined as members that have not graduated from UD (“alumni members”) and who have been accepted as members through the membership procedure defined above.
The DPA Graduate Student Senator is not allowed to be a PAGSS Core Board member while concurrently holding the DPA GSG seat. Safety officers should (but are not mandated to) be from the set of students working in DPA labs.
Learn more about us!