Professional Development Award Application Form
The Professional Development Award for Graduate Students is supported by the Office of the Provost to help University of Delaware graduate students participate in significant professional conferences pertaining to their field of study. Conference travel is essential to the academic growth and development of graduate students. It affords opportunities for presentation of student work in a professional setting, as well as opportunities for networking and exposure to the latest academic research.
The Office of Graduate and Professional Education is charged with the responsibility of administering competitive funds for this purpose. The deadline for application for a travel award is one month prior to the beginning of travel. Awards are limited to one per academic year and to two awards during the course of graduate study. The student must conform to University Travel Policy on allowable travel reimbursements.
Policies and Procedures
- A student must have a paper or poster accepted for presentation. A copy of the acceptance letter or other confirmation documentation must be provided, as well as a tentative title. In the case of multiple authors, only one student per presentation is eligible for funding.
- The amount of support will be based on the quality of the application and the level of conference participation up to a maximum of $500. These grants are competitive and full funding is not guaranteed. The applicant’s department or college must match the award offered by the Office of Graduate and Professional Education for at least $300. The departmental match must not be from research grant travel monies, but must be from other departmental resources. Please note: It is fully anticipated that those students receiving external grants that support conference costs will utilize those funds first towards their conference participation.
- The student must submit a detailed budget for the proposed travel and include information outlining projected costs. Applicants should budget for the least costly mode of travel and lodging. Students should also pool resources whenever possible; for example if a number of students within a department are attending the same conference, then carpooling should be considered. The funds may not be used for meal expenses.
- Within two weeks of the completion of this conference you will be required to upload actual expenses amounts to the Professional Development Summary Form. Original receipts are to be submitted to your department.
- Contribute to our Research Travel Blog by creating an engaging 300 word summary statement/blog entry that will be showcased on the Graduate and Professional Education website. The target audience of your blog will be the public and highlight the benefits of professional development in regards to your graduate research.
- We also request up to 5 images illustrating your experience to accompany your blog. These images should be the highest resolution and will become the property of the University of Delaware. We request one of these images to be of yourself, i.e. a selfie, at your conference venue. These images may appear in other media: credit will be given to the author if used. The University of Delaware Graduate and Professional Education Office reserves the right to edit any summary statement/blog entry and usage of submission is not guaranteed. Click here to upload your Professional Development Summary.
- The academic department will then be notified of the speedtype and the amount of financial support from our office. Submission of original receipts to department, reconciliation of charges in Works and submission of reports are to be completed within two weeks of return from conference.
Have you obtained prior routing information and departmental support?